SCVMM console error "could not update managed code add-in pipeline due to the following error"

Hi,

Newly installed SCVMM 2012 SP1, vmm server and console on same Win 2012 server..  When I log into the console I get the error

"could not update managed code add-in pipeline due to the following error:

Access to the path 'e:\program files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Virtual Machine Manager\Bin\AddInPipeline\PipelineSegments.store' is denied"

Anyone else seen this?  Solutions?

Thanks

Martin

February 1st, 2013 12:55am

Hi,

I got the same message at first time when I start VMM 2012 SP1 console on App COntroller 2012 SP1 server. But now it fixed. I don't know what change I made that fix the issue.

Thanks,

Tej Shah

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2013 2:59pm

Got the same problem. Newly installed Windows 2012 + SCVMM 2012 SP1 (and also Windows Updates which applies Update 1 of VMM) and I'm local admin.

I executed SCVMM Console once as "Run as Administrator" and didn't get the error message but next time I ran as non-Admin I still get the error message. So I tried using Explorer to browse to the folder specified and apparently I didn't have proper access to the folder so it asked if it should be fixed. Now I no longer get the error message. Good luck!

• Marked as answer by MartinBH Sunday, February 03, 2013 7:17 PM
February 2nd, 2013 7:12pm

My workaround:

C:\Windows>Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\AddInUtil.exe -AddInRoot:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Virtual Machine Manager\bin\AddInPipeline" -Rebuild

February 3rd, 2013 6:36pm

This worked for me - using Explorer to browse to the referenced directory and saying yes when asked whether to give myself access to it.

thanks

Martin

February 3rd, 2013 7:17pm

I found two problems causing this error:

1. The missing read/execute rights for users
  2. The file "PipelineSegments.store" wich is created on the first startup of the VMM console - on every system you have the VMM console installed

My workarounds are:

1. Grant "authenticated users" read/execute rights to the folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Virtual Machine Manager\bin\AddInPipeline" and all subfolders and files
  2. Run the VMM console once as an administrator - when the file "PipelineSegments.store" is created, the VMM console can be run by any user without the need for elevated rights.

----

This is the original ACL from the folder in question. You will notice the SID "S-1-5-32" wich is obviously a part of a "well known SID" - but I can only guess wich one.

Path   : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\FileSystem::C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Virtual Machine 
         Manager\bin\AddInPipeline
Owner  : NT-AUTORITT\SYSTEM
Group  : NT-AUTORITT\SYSTEM
Access : NT-AUTORITT\SYSTEM Allow  FullControl
         S-1-5-32 Allow  Write, ReadAndExecute, Synchronize
         VORDEFINIERT\Administratoren Allow  FullControl
Audit  : 
Sddl   : O:SYG:SYD:PAI(A;OICI;FA;;;SY)(A;OICI;0x1201bf;;;S-1-5-32)(A;OICI;FA;;;BA)

May 10th, 2013 9:58am

This is a known issue with SCVMM 2012 SP1 Update Rollup 1, and is documented along with the official steps to correct it in the Update Rollup 1 release notes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2785682

See the "Note" in Issue 5 of the Virtual Machine Manager section. These steps will restore the correct security rights.

May 10th, 2013 11:55am

hi ,

I have faced the same issue in SCVMM 2012 sp1 installed on Os 2012 Standard

SCVMM installation disk get full, so created new disk with same drive letter

stopped SCVMM services and copy all file and folders in new drive and started the services, then it is prompting

for " Could not update Managed code add-in pipeline due to the following error:

Solution: i have opened the SCVMM console with Run As Administrator and error disappears.

October 28th, 2013 5:27am

I have the same issue in SCVMM 2012 r2 with update.

I grant "authenticated users" read/execute rights to the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Virtual Machine Manager\bin\AddInPipeline, and work.

April 14th, 2014 5:37pm

This one worked for me too.  Thanks.!!!!!!
October 22nd, 2014 6:47am

This fix worked ONLY after added read AND write permissions.

Just read and execute still gave me the same old error.

"I grant "authenticated users" read/execute rights to the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Virtual Machine Manager\bin\AddInPipeline, and work."

June 8th, 2015 1:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics